Sign-up for Waste Management and Recycling News & Updates
Residents in our service area receive recycling collection service every-other week. The County provides blue recycling carts in three sizes, 30, 60, or 90 gallons. You can request a different size cart or you can receive an extra cart, which is available at no cost.
Acceptable/Unacceptable Materials: (brochure)
A listing of which types of materials are acceptable or unacceptable for your curbside recycling collection cart is found in the brochure listed above. For more information on waste acceptability, visit the A to Z Materials Guide.
Curbside Collection Used Motor Oil/Filters and Cooking Oil Recycling: (brochure)
The County collects used motor oil, used oil filters, and cooking oil on the same day as your mixed recycling day. Please follow the guidelines below when placing your used motor oil, used oil filters, and cooking oil at the curb:
- Do not contaminate used motor oil or cooking oil by mixing it with other automotive fluids, including gasoline.
- Do not place used oil containers and filters in the recycling cart.
- Place used oil filters in a sealed plastic bag (filters must be drained before bagging).
- Place used motor oil or cooking oil in a rigid or semi-rigid plastic container no larger than five (5) quarts. Juice jugs, five (5) quart motor oil containers, detergent bottles, 2-liter soda bottles, milk jugs, or water jugs are good to use. Screw and/or tape lids shut to prevent spills.
- Place used motor oil, used oil filters and cooking oil on the ground at least three (3) feet away from the recycling cart.
- Other motor oil recycling options are available in the Sacramento area.
Removing recyclables from a curbside cart is considered scavenging and is a crime pursuant to Section 6.20.160 of the Sacramento County Code. To report scavenging, call the Sacramento County Information hotline at 916-875-5656 or TDD 916-875-7105.
You can reach Customer Service by calling 916-875-5555, complete a Customer Service Online Form, or send an email to Customer Service Email. They can help you with cart delivery, replacement, repairs, exchanges, missed service, billing inquiries, etc.